Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Ron Timmons gave me a shout out on his blog earlier this week so I wanted to return the favor...
so, I need all of my readers to go check out his up and coming blog [http://rontims.blogspot.com/].
He's a very creative individual trying to start a movement. and, he's half Japanese so you know his shits on point.
signing off [ms. let me upgrade you]
chanel iman made a guest appearance at the launch party for Matthew Williamson's capsule collection for H&M (which sold out in less than an hour)...
chanel pulled off a good look with this short, sequined, shirt/dress by topshop along with the braided headband. love, love, love it.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
so i'm sitting here just starring into space, vibing to good music, and i have this weird, but good feeling going on inside of me. i can't explain it but i like it and it grows better and better with each passing day. as of lately, i've been smiling a lot. everything's good. not letting anything stress me [besides my cognitive psychology class but thats another story]. no complaints whatsoever. the weather has been beautiful. the summer is fast approaching. i've managed to surround myself with amazing people. i love my family. my life is great.
just missing one thing, but i know that that void will be filled soonerthanlater...
random thoughts in 5...4...3...2...1,
1. i can't stop smiling :)
2. nothings better than good chocolate and cold water as a late night snack.
3. india arie and john legend are coming to charlottesville.
4. current songs on repeat: and i: jill scott, anytime, anyplace: janet jackson, all for love: bilal
5. still writing about African feminism
6. i love simplicity. soft kisses. spontaneity. creativity. demeanor. summer nights. thought provoking conversation. late night pillow talk sessions. music that makes me feel. individuals. silence at the right moments. falling asleep with socks on and waking up barefooted. cool breezes. making others happy. pride. spiritual beings.
7. i really wish girls [especially college women] would stop wearing big neon colored plastic jewelry now.
8. i wish luther vandross was still alive today. along with w.e.b. dubois.
9. i wish i owned that pastel graphic print knit skirt by topshop that i saw in vogue's march [?] issue
10. happy birthday chris.
Friday, April 24, 2009
"It is an incredible opportunity to be working with H&M, creating a 'Matthew Williamson for H&M' capsule collection. I love the fact that H&M has created a new phenomenon in fashion through the pioneering concept of collaborating with high-end designers to create one-off limited edition capsule collections. I am thrilled that my creations for H&M will be accessible to and hopefully enjoyed by so many people around the world," says Williamson
well... guess what? it's here. check out the colorful, bold, whimsical collection here [http://www.hm.com/nl#/mw/].
for all the ladies, like myself, who shop at H&M... you know stuff goes faster than fast so get yours now.
also. h&m clothing will be available online for purchase starting may 7th [best news i've heard ALL week]
According to police, Primoff kicked her 10 and 12-year-old daughters out of the car in downtown White Plains, before driving off.
Primoff's 10-year-old daughter told investigators she had been arguing with her sister when her mother stopped the car at and told them to get out. The 12-year-old chased after her mother's car and was reportedly allowed back in, however the younger girl was left alone.
A passerby who saw the girl crying bought her ice cream and contacted White Plains police. Officers searched the area but were unable to find the girl's mother.
Primoff later contacted Scarsdale police and reported the girl missing. The girl was identified when Scarsdale authorities called White Plains police about the missing girl. Primoff was arrested when she came to the station to pick her daughter up.
The Weekly Vice
drake will be performing in DC at Club Love.
Monday, April 20, 2009
word of the week.
2) pertaining to a long-lasting medical condition.
p.s. let's not get it twisted, i do NOT smoke.
Since Beyonce’s going to London November 2nd to perform at O2, 100 British chicks decided to celebrate by dressing up like Bey and performing the entire “Single Ladies" video in the middle of London spontaneously.
p.s. solange is still my favorite
Sunday, April 19, 2009
my outfit last night: simple, yet so cute. if you read my article in thecmag.com, you would know that all things "tribal" are in style this season... so last night i decided to showcase this trend. as i was going through my closet, i noticed a little black and white, tribal print tunic top that i never wear [that cost me a pretty penny] and i wanted to wear it but it was sheer and i had nothing to put under it [ so i thought]... so i gave up on that shirt as an option and went for the basic [an all black, double u-neck, body hugging american apparel dress] but then i thought to myself, "i have a similar h&m dress just like this that i wore like 4 weeks ago so i can't wear this". i got frustrated because it was getting late and i had nothing to wear. then something clicked, and i decided to put the sheer shirt over-top of the black dress and lets just say, the end result was fabulous. i was proud of myself because i always buy stuff that i NEVER wear but last night, my get-up was on point and i wore 2 items that i usually over-look.
my bed: LAWD! i love to sleep. i'm like a hibernating maniac [matter of fact, i'm going to take a nap after i finish posting] but anyways, i'm just taking advantage on the next few [emphasis on FEW] days that i will actually be able to get adequate sleep. finals are fast approaching and that means non-stop all-nighters for me. please pray for me.
Quest: i was put on and now, i'm never jumping off. absolutely love every single word that comes out of his mouth. distant travels into soul theory: go download it ASAP.
my hair: normally i put that chi to use and straighten my hair but i've decided to do something a little different and wear my hair curly the last few days... my hair is uber-thick and sometimes uncontrollable but i like wearing curls, especially since i can wake up, pull a few hair pins out, and have a super cute style that all the little [chicks] on grounds want to try to imitate now. i seent ya'll wannabes this weekend [bahahahaha] anyways... give up, you can not do it like me.
easter basket leftovers: yum!
spring fling: this weekend was a complete disappointment. wth??? since when is spring fling weekend worse than a normal weekend here at uva? this weekend just validated why i go home, to richmond, EVERY single weekend. smh, definitely passing up on it next year. i've lost all hope for my university. my hoos just can't get it together to save their lives. highlights of my spring fling weekend [um.... let me see.... uhhhh... im still thinking, get back to me and hopefully i'll have something].
no richmond. its killing me. i just want to go HOME but i'm stuck here.
jamie foxx's little discussion on how he dislikes miley cyrus/hannah montana. shame on jamie. correct me if i'm wrong, but hes a grown ass man and the way he "dawgged" her was far from necessary.
angela davis: came to speak at my school about the "need" to abolish the prison system... i disagreed with all that she said. that is all.
pollen: the shit seems to be deadly. my allergies are KILLING me... eyes all puffy and swollen, nose runny, throat all itchy. but i guess its worth it because i love the warm weather and pretty flowers.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
"Project Runway is returning to television this summer — and it will air on Lifetime."
wtf? what happened to project runway being on bravo??? i am 100% against lifetime because they always depict women being abused by men [and never once have i seen a women depicted in an empowering light on this channel] but i might have to break my anti-Lifetime streak just to watch Project Runway
"the upcoming season of Project Runway relocated from New York to Los Angeles, though it will continue to be hosted by Heidi Klum and judged by Michael Kors and Nina Garcia. Tim Gunn will also mentor the designers. As usual, the finale was shot during New York Fashion Week-- this year on Feb. 20."Auf wiedersehen
echo chamber: a person who totally, obsequiously agrees with everything another person says.
example: “During the meeting my boss Jeremy calls on Jason, who’s a well-known management echo chamber to ask if Jason thinks the Company’s new and much stricter internet policy is a fair one. The rest of us spend the remainder of the meeting retching at the resultant tsunami of blatant ass-smooching.”
not a fan of the above described.
Monday, April 13, 2009
weekly lists of my 5 favorite and least favorite things of the week...
i had to add some new feature to my blog since i've abandoned male of the week and updates on America's Next Top Model (because it's extra boring this season)...
- my easter basket: after whinning and telling my mom that she was failing as a mother because she didn't make me an easter basket last year, she finally got her act together and made one of the best easter baskets i've received to date. for the love of chocolate in carytown is the world's greatest candy store and has really good chocolate so i was happy to get a basket full of chocolate bunnies, chicks, ducks and other yummy stuff from there. i also got a cute plush bunny and edible grass (although it taste like the communion wafers at my church. lls.)
- spring fling: [me singing in the background: its the most wonderful time of the year]... in 2 short days complete and total chaos will break lose on the grounds of the university of virginia. for all those who haven't been blessed with the chance to venture to uva for spring fling, i just want you to know that you're missing out. basically spring fling is the ONE and ONLY time of the year when uva turns into a HBCU... black people everywhere!!! its oh so refreshing.
- vogue magazine lists the faces of the moment and two african american women make the list! both liya kebede and jourdan dunn made the list. only bad thing about this story is the absence of chanel iman and myself... for more, check out [http://www.style.com/vogue/feature/2009_May_Steven_Meisel/]
- asher roth's "how does it feel" video. just watch below... it speaks for itself.
- the hills: this weeks episode was a disappointment. hopefully next week will keep me wanting to watch.
- school: so many papers and books to read. hopefully i can get through it. on a better note... only like three weeks to go.
- no richmond for 3 weeks: along with #2... it saddens me that i will not be in richmond for the next three weeks. its going to be rough. i will be going through extreme withdrawals.
- facebook: facebook sucks now so i deleted mine... i might reactivate after this semester is over.
- maxwell's new song "pretty wings" is a complete disappointment. it just doesn't compare to the old stuff.
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Tabloids House (Remix) (feat. Jesse Boykins III) - MeLo-X
i now love MELO-X. you should too.
thank the heavens above. finally, all us sex and the city fans will get a sequel to the movie. i couldn't be any happier... the sequel is set to hit theaters May 28th, 2010.
according to MTV movies blog,
"Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Cynthia Nixon and Kristin Davis will all return with director/writer Michael Patrick King.
So, what can we expect to be in store for the quartet? Details have yet to be released, but back in November Sarah Jessica Parker told MTV News’ Josh Horowitz that a little Big-Carrie bundle of joy would be out of character. “[Motherhood] doesn’t seem as if that’s going to be a choice she’ll make. It feels a little bit manipulative to toss that into the mix because she seems so pointed in a different direction.”
Whether it’s babies or boyfriends, the ladies’ return is sure to bring in the box office bucks next May."
anyone nearly as excited as i am?
ps. hannah montana movie this friday! [even more excitement :) ]
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
- American Terrorist: Lupe Fiasco
- On & On: Erykah Badu
- Mr. Nigga: Mos Def
- False Media: The Roots
- We Major: Kanye West
- The 6th Sense: Common
- Summertime: Mos Def
- Sooner or Later: N.E.R.D.
- Made Up My Mind: Lyfe Jennings
- I Gotta Find Peace of Mind: Lauryn Hill
- Best of Me: Chrisette Michele
- Set You Free: Kem
- The Coolest: Lupe Fiasco
- Bird Flu: M.I.A.
- Streetlights: Kanye West
- Anti Matter: N.E.R.D.
- One Word: Kurt Carr
- Bittersweet: Kanye West
- Hate Me Now: Nas
- Diva: Beyonce
- The Truth: India Arie
- If I Have My Way: Chrisette Michele
- Like A Dream: Chrisette Michele
- Ultimate Relationships: Mary J. Blige
- Heaven: Kem
- Whenever, Wherever, Whatever: Maxwell
- Sweetest Thing: Lauryn Hill
- By Your Side: Sade
- Spoiled: Joss Stone
- Little Bit: Lykke Li
- The Panties: Mos Def
- Lonely World: Robin Thicke
- Any Time, Any Place: Janet Jackson
- Cosmic Journey: Solange
- Enchantment: Corinne Bailey Rae
- Lay Down: Floetry
- The Closer I Get To You: Luther Vandross and Beyonce
- So Amazing: Luther Vandross
- Mellow Smooth: Maxwell
- No One: Alicia Keys
Monday, April 6, 2009
tonight. 10pm. MTV. don't miss it.
can't wait to find out what this season has in store for us... the previews were pretty intense so i'm getting excited.
30 minutes 'til showtime....
Sunday, April 5, 2009
i love the feeling you get when you rediscover a great thing and it makes you feel all good inside [lls].
i can remember way back in '97 when this album dropped and my mom keep it in heavy rotation and i was unable to appreciate the goodness of the soundtrack back then but it definitely has some great songs... especially Maxwell's Mellow Smooth track. i absolutely love this soundtrack and it will be in rotation all day.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
i'm not a fan of the full one pieces but the cute little rompers are to die for.
i was a little apprehensive about this trend because i thought they only looked good on babies but... after seeing them all over the runways of fashion week i figured i could pull this look off.
p.s. im hoping that a certain someone makes me their super boo soonerthanlater.
Police of Tuesday seized 6.5 tones of marijuana from the home of a man. [6.5 tons!!! outrageous right?] but whats even more outrageous is the fact that the man was 114 years old.
"The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) said it had found 254 sacks of cannabis at the home of Sulaiman Adebayo in Ogun state, north of the commercial capital Lagos.'The quantity of drugs suggests a large scale involvement ... There is more to the case than Pa Sulaiman,' NDLEA chairman Ahmadu Giade said in a statement.Adebayo, who said he had been a farmer all his life, told police he thought the sacks contained rice."
trusticles: having the balls to trust someone in a difficult situation.
example: I know I got my law degree online, but we're family. Show me you've got some big trusticles and let me defend you in court!
and here is another word since i've been MIA for like a week....
textually-frustrated: When texting with someone over IM or SMS that takes too long to reply leaving you waiting and frustrated.
example: "She takes forever; texting with Sara leaves me textually frustrated"
the examples they give are always outrageous lol.