Cameroonian photographer Mario Epanya did what should have been done years ago. In hopes of getting Vogue publisher Conde Nast to see the potential in Vogue Africa as a competitor in the world of fashion magazines, he created fictional covers for his dream and the dream of many black fashion lovers. Although Vogue Italia has featured beautiful black models and fashion in their "all black" issue, I think theres still a need for a magazine catered towards paying homage to black beauty. The covers Epanya shot were gorgeous and although they can't be found on the shelves of your local newsstand, the art speaks just as loud as any other Vogue cover.
Friday, July 23, 2010
Thursday, June 24, 2010
adele: chasing pavements
destiny's child: emotions
destiny's child: if
monica: just one of them days
adele: make you feel my love
mariah carey: my all
mariah carey: i still believe
musiq: don't change
mariah carey: we belong together
mariah carey: angel's cry
mariah caerey: don't forget about us
beyonce: if i were a boy
chrisette michele:if i have my way
melanie fiona: it kills me
monica: everything to me
monica: why i love you so much
keyshia cole: trust
now going in a corner to cry
Monday, June 21, 2010
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Friday, May 14, 2010
Sunday, May 2, 2010
Friday, February 5, 2010
here's her bio: "Hi, I'm Fifi Lapin... I was born one of 257 brothers and sisters but sadly there was an outbreak of myxomatosis when I was just one year old... I was the only one that survived. My parents are therefore incredibly protective of me and spoil me rotten. I'm an hare-ss to my fathers fortune which he made playing fast and loose with carrot and lettuce shares on the international stock market. There are a lot of rabbits out there eating carrots and lettuce so I guess he just struck gold (or orange you might say).Some people think I’m just a socialite but I think there is more to me than just an extremely stylish clotheshorse!"
Saturday, January 2, 2010
many of you have probably already heard the buzz surrounding jay-z's latest video "on to the next one"... after reading many blog posts and youtube video comments i have decided to do some research on my own (basic research however because i do have a life)
so... many are claiming jay-z to be a mason/anti-christ.
anti-christ is a term i am familiar with, however, masonry is not (at least not in the way it is being used to label jay).
i decided to quickly wikipedia "masonry" or "freemasonry" and this is what i found:
"Freemasonry is a fraternal organization that arose from obscure origins in the late 16th to early 17th century. Freemasonry now exists in various forms all over the world, with a membership estimated at around 5 million, including just under two million in the United States and around 480,000 in England, Scotland and Ireland. The various forms all share moral and metaphysical ideals, which include, in most cases, a constitutional declaration of belief in a Supreme Being."
so of course, being the skeptical person that i am, i hate and rather not take things for face value. it would have been easy for me to jump on the anti-jay bandwagon because of all the fuss surrounding him on an important topic however i choose not to.
first and foremost, based on my initial research, freemasonry membership is characterized by belief in A supreme being (not THE supreme being; leaving definition of that being rather vague and ambiguous). that "supreme being" is not defined as the devil.
upon intake in the organization, "candidates for regular Freemasonry are required to declare a belief in a Supreme Being. However, the candidate is not asked to expand on, or explain, his interpretation of Supreme Being".
so why can't jay-z's declaration of a higher being be God?
"Freemasonry's central preoccupations remain charitable work within a local or wider community, moral uprightness (in most cases requiring a belief in a Supreme Being) as well as the development and maintenance of fraternal friendship --"
service and scholarship to community sound good to me.
"A candidate progresses through degrees gaining knowledge and understanding of himself, his relationship with others and his relationship with the Supreme Being (as per his own interpretation)."
The three degrees of are those of (i.e. BP 1, 2, and 3):
1.Entered Apprentice – the degree of an Initiate, which makes one a Freemason;
2.Fellow Craft – an intermediate degree, involved with learning;
3.Master Mason – the "third degree", a necessity for participation in most aspects of Masonry.
"The degrees represent stages of personal development. No Freemason is told that there is only one meaning to the allegories; as a Freemason works through the degrees and studies their lessons, he interprets them for himself, his personal interpretation being bounded only by the Constitution within which he works"
i always liked the concept of thinking for oneself; developing one's own thoughts and interpretations... so dare i say masonry is sounding good to me thus far?
now the only thing about masonry that i feel compelled to call into question at this time came to mind as a read through the general requirements for membership...
1. Be a man who comes of his own free will.
2. Believe in a Supreme Being (the form of which is left to open interpretation by the candidate).
3. Be at least the minimum age (from 18–25 years old depending on the jurisdiction).
4. Be of good morals, and of good reputation.
5. Be of sound mind and body
6. Be free-born (or "born free", i.e., not born a slave or bondsman)
now, as i previously mentioned, there is one thing about the whole concept of masonry and jay-z's connection to it that i will call into question. NUMBER 6. last time i checked, jay-z was African American and I can not see why he might desire membership into a fraternity that still, in many jurisdictions, denies membership to african- americans??? thats like desiring membership in the KKK in my opinion... "i used to drink crystal but them fuckers racist" hmm... so are many of his alleged frat bros.
"Freemasonry explicitly and openly states that it is neither a religion nor a substitute for one" AND therefore, i will not go out on a limb and call jay the anti-christ.
i'll finish by saying that many people shun what they don't understand.
with that being said, please feel free to enlighten me if there is something i'm not understanding. like i said before, my research was basic. until next time, i'm on to the next one.
p.s. to all the people so whole-heartedly claiming they're faith and denouncing others, putting your time and effort into defending christianity thru mere online discussions, please remember "faith without work is dead". go do something productive with your lives.
...and he said it best "grow the fuck up, come and let me coach you"
and thats exactly what this video is working to do... raise such a heated topic for discussion to help enlighten the mind of some that fall victim to what i'll call "auto-tune" (being brainwashed into thinking something because someone presents it to be fact)
DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE...
Monday, December 28, 2009
"its your body you can yell if you want to
loud if you want to, scream if you want to
just let me love you lay right here girl dont be scared of me
give you sex therapy, give you sex therapy
its your body well go hard if you want to
as hard as you want to, soft as you want to
just let me love you lay right here i'll be your fantasy
give you sex therapy, give you sex therapy"
i am so impressed with how classy this video is and how it brought about the same "good thoughts" as trey's "invented sex".
p.s. i could have been the long legged girl in this video.
have a happy and safe new year everyone.
Friday, December 4, 2009
1. Do one tiny thing together each day. Our recommended option: Shower together in the morning. Not only is it a sexy way to kick-start the morning, it gives you a few moments together that are guaranteed to be relaxed.
2. Help your shopping-challenged guy get it all done. Come to his rescue and you’ll not only have a grateful man on your hands, you’ll also score more couple time. Hit the mall super-early or late (when it’s less crowded) and steer him toward appropriate gifts — and away from the remote-control cars he thinks everyone likes as much as he does.
3. Make each other playlists of songs you love right now. Listen closely as you drive from one family obligation to another; one study found that a person’s playlist can tell you a lot about him.
4. Won’t be together on the 25th? Pick a day to have a “mini Christmas.” Make a delicious dinner, open a bottle of wine, and exchange gifts. The intimate celebration will feel even more special than if you celebrated with a room full of people.
5. Ask him to write an X-rated wish list for you. Then do the same for him. It’s a great way to confess naughty desires you might be uncomfortable telling each other face-to-face.
6. Shamelessly belt out holiday tunes. Doing something ridiculous and laughing together is a great way to bring you closer. Plus, it’ll force you to stifle your inner Scrooge.
7. Pull him aside at a party and make a private toast. Creating a quiet moment in the middle of a crowd can help you reconnect when you’ve both been making the rounds.
8. Drive around just to look at Christmas lights. Not only is it pretty, but guys tend to open up more when they don’t have to make eye contact. That makes sitting side by side in the car the perfect way to trigger a meaningful talk.
9. Stay connected in high-tech ways. Text random, funny pictures as you go about your days separately, Skype via iPhone, or, if you’re apart for multiple days, use your Xbox to stream Netflix and watch the same movie at the same time. Pick a grown-up Christmas flick like Love Actually and call each other whenever you feel like commenting.
10. Save money and stay in. Pick up a couple of blobs of frozen pizza dough at the grocery store and a variety of toppings and make your own gourmet pies. To really ramp up the fun, try doing it wearing nothing but a couple of aprons. Within minutes your bodies will be covered with flour handprints.
i thought the article was cute, hope you enjoy also.